Sign in to follow this  
admin

What should be done to see that underrespresented people's views are heard?

Guest Lis, UK

The first thing that needs to be done is to identify which people are unrepresented and why.  Once these groups are identified it is then possible to look at the barriers to their voice being heard and identify how these can be removed.  Common barriers are lack of education, lack of status, lack of confidence, lack of belief that they will be able to make a difference, poor health and lack of time because they have to work so hard to survive.  Different strategies are needed for different groups to engage.

Guest Sadat(uganda)

under people should be represented by same one who can do his work

Guest emagu (uganda)

by using our local leaders for the example L.Cs

Guest MATENDE(UGANDA)

Through radio and TV.

Guest Henry uk

What if we have politicians who won't listen to people? What's the answer then?

Guest emagu (uganda)

by use of telephones

Guest MATENDE(UGANDA)

I can go to chairpersons or the police.

Guest Richard, UK

You have to be very carefull who you speak too. You could be labelled as a troublemaker if you speak too others if they hold a different opinion. I believe in safety in numbers.

Guest owori (uganda)

Through strike

3 hours ago, Guest Robert Uganda said:

Guest Richard, UK

Don't speak out when you're on your own

Guest MATENDE(UGANDA)

The members of the parliament are the ones who must help us.

Guest Samuel Woira

I think that We need to utilize all platforms availed to us and the very people who are underrepresented need to be empowered to come up. This is because we may try to fight for equal opportunity for the underrepresented when they are just seated on themselves and don't see the need to join the fight which makes us some times end up achieving less. 

So the underrepresented need to also equally join in to fight for their rights

Guest Samuel Woira

Advanced issues found

8 minutes ago, Guest owori (uganda) said:

Knowledge is power. Awareness-raising is very key to increasing representation of the underrepresented 

Guest Sadat(uganda)
3 hours ago, Guest Robert Uganda said:

Through music dance and drama

Yes through music dance and drama underrepresented people's views are heard.

Guest MATENDE(UGANDA)
17 minutes ago, Guest Richard, UK said:

Don't speak out when you're on your own

why and how.

Guest Jerry USA

Maybe it's safer for people to not have their views heard with the current state of politics? 

Guest Sadat(uganda)
On 7/11/2019 at 6:24 AM, Guest Hannah UK said:

I think in terms of representation in sport it depends what sport...men are under represented in synchronised swimming... and women in many other sports like football

True so if we utilize people's talents, this can be of great importance.

Guest emma(uganda)
41 minutes ago, Guest Leigh, UK said:

I think petitions can be quiet good to raise awareness. To then be discussed / actioned.

well i think that can work well since it involves many and also some bit of signing to make their views formal

Guest emagu (uganda)
41 minutes ago, Guest Lis, UK said:

The first thing that needs to be done is to identify which people are unrepresented and why.  Once these groups are identified it is then possible to look at the barriers to their voice being heard and identify how these can be removed.  Common barriers are lack of education, lack of status, lack of confidence, lack of belief that they will be able to make a difference, poor health and lack of time because they have to work so hard to survive.  Different strategies are needed for different groups to engage.

yes i agree with you

Guest Robert ( Uganda)
39 minutes ago, Guest Lis, UK said:

It is true  to use different strategies to help underrepresented people's views to be heard.

Guest owori (uganda)
On 7/23/2019 at 10:26 AM, Guest Debbie UK said:

Good point but how do we make sure they are mixing in an equal way so that the underrepresented people don't feel they have to keep quiet for their own protection and to fit in?

The government should set rules that are in favor of everyone despite their status so that the underrepresnted people feel they are protected and listened to.

Guest owori (uganda)
49 minutes ago, Guest Lis, UK said:

Yes i agree with you because you need to know people's problems before you get a solution to them.

Guest emagu (uganda)
46 minutes ago, Guest Henry uk said:

What if we have politicians who won't listen to people? What's the answer then?

we resort to executive organ of the government for example the president, vice president, or the prime minister.

Guest owori (uganda)
16 minutes ago, Guest Jerry USA said:

Maybe it's safer for people to not have their views heard with the current state of politics? 

No i don't agree with you because it brings insecurity in the country as it may lead to chaos like for example people striking.

Just now, Guest owori (uganda) said:

Yes i agree with you because you need to know people's problems before you get a solution to them.

Guest Robert ( Uganda)
47 minutes ago, Guest MATENDE(UGANDA) said:

Through radio and TV.

Very true through radio and TV talk shows underrepresented people's views are heard as this will lead to the community and entire Country to get to know them.