Sign in to follow this  
admin

Should love be conditional on how you behave?

Guest Jane

I want to say no, real love should be unconditional. But the answer has to be yes. With love there has to be respect, kindness and consideration. We can forgive some behaviours of those we love, but only when we are shown love back.

Guest Lis

Love should not be conditional but there are consequences to bad behaviour. Loving someone sometimes requires hard decisions and putting in boundaries when behaviour is unacceptable. But these lines should be clear and reasonable allowing the person to make different choices and not decisions made in anger. When you love someone you want to do the best for them

Guest Hannah
Just now, Guest Lis said:

Love should not be conditional but there are consequences to bad behaviour. Loving someone sometimes requires hard decisions and putting in boundaries when behaviour is unacceptable. But these lines should be clear and reasonable allowing the person to make different choices and not decisions made in anger. When you love someone you want to do the best for them

If your love has conditions it's not love. Love is unconditional. I agree with Lis re rules and boundaries but if for e.g. my kids break them I'd still love them no matter what!

Guest Angela

If we stop loving because of bad behaviour then nothing will change...

Guest Megan

Love is unconditional. Anything else and it is not love. Even when people make bad choices/decisions, you still love them. I agree with Lis above - there has to be boundaries but not conditions otherwise you are not loving the person for who they truly are.

Guest Lauren

I think love is always unconditional, however, if someone acts in a way that hurts you intentionally you shouldn't show your love to them in the same way you have before.

Guest Kevin

not sure love is rational, so depends on person to person 

Guest Jeremiah of Slovenia

I absolutely think love is conditional. You cannot love a stranger because you don't know what they have done up to that point in their life. Could you love someone who brings negativity and hate to the world? 

Guest nick

love is conditional. You love people for a reason, most people loved ones are family and friends who have helped and supported you in life. You don't love strangers because they haven't done anything to prove they deserve love

Guest Hazel
On 2/5/2019 at 7:59 PM, admin said:

Join the debate below!

No...love can’t be conditional. You can’t withdraw love even if you feel sad or exasperated by the people you love. 

Guest Larissa

If anything someone who is not 'behaving well' whatever that may be needs more love rather than less! All of us need love and those who act like they deserve it the least, need it the most. So we should always strive to love unconditionally even if it sometimes feels impossible. 

Guest David

Theoretically true love should put up with any bad behaviour——but there comes a stage where abuse comes in when love surely withers and dies. However separating from ones “love”does not necessarily mean that we cease to love them as is often demonstrated by the abused who go on wanting them to change

Guest Zoe

Such a hard question. In theory love should be unconditional. However, I also think that there are people who are psychopaths that exploit people, and society should be wary of/acknowledge their existence. 
It's difficult to answer because the majority of people who may behave 'bad', may be doing it from mental health, addiction, circumstance. In these cases people need love to help them get through a difficult period. I mean nobody is perfect, so to love somoeone you must also love (or at least accept) their flaws.

P.s. I am talking about all kinds of love (friends, family), not just romantic love.

Guest Igulu (Uganda)

When love is conditional one is limited... 

Guest Emma(Uganda)

If you love me on condition my behavior is negative to you 

Guest Sadat(Uganda)

Love is meant to be free for me to know you better. 

Guest Elija(Uganda)

When you love someone you don't need to put a condition because it brings attitude

Guest Patrick(Uganda)

If you behave well love should be free but if you misbehave your love should be limited and conditional ... 

Guest Joshua(Uganda)

No if someone is to love you no conditions should be attached

Guest John(Uganda)

Yes love should be conditional because you may take yourself as a king when loved always 

Guest Fatim(Uganda)

When you show love to a child he will open up and behave well when you show him open love

Guest Hadija(Uganda)

Love Without condition shows a good direction... 

Guest Gary UK

Love should be unconditional, and independent of behaviour