Sign in to follow this  
admin

Should all people be heard and all views be shared in society?

Join this month's debate!

Enter your answer below or click the green 'Reply to this topic' button above.

Guest Paul

I think everyone in Society has a right to say and share their views on all topics, as long as those views don't cause offence or harm to others.

Guest Nicola, UK

I think it's important that people have a chance to be heard - but at the same time we need to be careful not to give platforms to people with views that harm and de-value others.

Guest Sara

Only adults should have their views heard as they have more life experience and so their views are more likely to be correct

Guest Lauren
On 12/11/2018 at 5:30 PM, Guest Nicola, UK said:

I think it's important that people have a chance to be heard - but at the same time we need to be careful not to give platforms to people with views that harm and de-value others.

Should someone be allowed a view that may be negative, but helps someone else to improve on something?

Guest Elsa

I believe that we shall all be heard but we must always weight our words and most of all not force others into thinking the same. However, we shall never spread a discourse of hate towards other at any circumstances. 

Guest Elsa Everyo

Everyone has the right to express themselves, the freedom of speech is important. However one must always speak reasonably and weight their arguments when publicly speaking and also respect others opinion. In this regards, the respect of others and their integrity has to be kept in mind and no discourse can call for hatred toward certain people.

Guest CFKEVOLI
On 12/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, Guest Paul said:

I think everyone in Society has a right to say and share their views on all topics, as long as those views don't cause offence or harm to others.

I’m offended by everything, therefore you can’t speak

Guest Karen and Graham Gwinnett

It is important that everyone is heard and views are shared. However, not everyone's views should be taken with the same weight. Some people will lie, or bend the truth. Quite often those with the loudest voices are speaking some untruths. We saw this in the UK Brexit campaign - the Brexiteers were loud and proud about bringing more money back into the NHS, which turned out not to be true.🤠

Guest Jeremy Clarkson

You should not have to worry about having different views to people as people think differently. You should not ever try and force your views on others and make them believe the same as you as each person is entitled to their own opinion. Political correctness has gone too far at times. Some people get offended too easily and you should not be like these people.

Guest Nigel
On 12/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, Guest Paul said:

People are offended by all sorts of things, rational or irrational.  If you can’t risk offending someone when speaking about something which you believe to be true, no one would ever be able to debate anything in case someone is offended

For example, say I was offended by your comment, by your line of reasoning, you should delete it because it offends me...

Or

Someone giving an important speech to 10000 people, how many can they offend before we should stop them? 0? 1? 10? 100?

Guest Guest A

You should listen to everybody but try and take a fair and balanced view

Guest Max

All views should be shared and voiced but not necessarily given the same platform

Guest John

All views have a right to be shared and heard.  It is then up to the public to agree with/get behind views that they believe are fair and balanced.  This also allows for unfair and discriminatory views to be pushed out of society.

Making people aware of unfair and discriminatory views allows them to cast better judgement upon other opinions, while being able to defend their balanced views more effectively - this further improves society as a whole 

Guest Isabella

All people should be heard, everyone should have an equal right to this freedom. Should all views be shared? I think this depends in what way they are shared -there will always be someone who is offended by your opinion, but if we were to stop sharing views based on this alone, wouldn't everyone then be silenced? Meaning no one is then heard?

Guest Rowan

I think it is always important to be able to voice your views and also important to hear other people’s to fully understand everyone’s standpoint, assuming that it’s not hurtful or discriminatory.

Guest Joel
2 minutes ago, Guest Rowan said:

I think it is always important to be able to voice your views and also important to hear other people’s to fully understand everyone’s standpoint, assuming that it’s not hurtful or discriminatory.

Your comment is hurtful to me because I don’t agree with it, delete it? 

Not sharing ‘hurtful’ views is nice in theory, disasterous in practice

Guest Jane

I think Freedom of Speech is important so that ideas and opinions can be debated, but I do not think that those that use this right to incite hatred towards others should be given a public platform.

Guest Amane

I think it is good if all people can share their cultures and their opinions so that they can expand their horizons by knowing other people's opinions. However, they should be careful and responsible about what they have said and also should respect others. 

Guest cmcm

Yes, with the exception of hate speech, views that are explicitly violent, harmful, or hateful. These views should not get a platform and should not be protected.

Guest Charlotte

I think it is important that all voices of society are heard and opinions are taken into account but when opinions and statements are at risk of harming other people/cultures, action should be taken to make sure these are not taken further into policies that would affect those people adversely.

Guest Ruth

While it might be useful to hear multiple views to get a better understanding of where they are coming from the weight we attach to what they say and the subsequent platform we give them to express themselves should be based on the content and the risk they pose to the well being of others. 

Guest Gary UK

Everyone has their own opinion, and so their views should all be heard, provided that they do not hurt, offend, or cause harm to others.

Guest Ian

Freedom of speech is very important, and everyone should be given the opportunity to put forward their opinion and to explain their reasoning. Freedom of speech is not freedom to abuse or offend anyone however, so this has to be balanced. The best platforms are where people have open minds and are willing to learn from others and are open to others views

Guest Solo UG

Everyone has a right to freedom of speech and respect of given to what your saying, so all people need to be given respect to listen to their ideas whether young or old