Sign in to follow this  
admin

If people commit crimes like theft to survive, should they be punished?

Guest Dan, UK
Just now, Guest Denis (Uganda) said:

Either violet or non violet  theft is  theft and a crime is a crime they should be punished because they may repeat it again and cause harm to someone a particular time

If someone has no other option and it's either starvation or theft to sruvive, does that make a difference?

Every society should be set up so that everyone living within it can eat, drink and survive - if there are people within that society who can't access these basic rigths the society needs to change to enable that to happen.

Guest Nabwire(uganda)
Just now, Guest CLAIRE(UGANDA) said:

If sameone steals samething they mast take he/her to the police station and gave her/he the punishement.

Guest angella(ug)
38 minutes ago, Guest Helen USA said:

I'm a police officer and I can tell you that often punishing people doesn't stop them doing crimes. We need to think of ways to help them and not just punish them.

punishing people doesn't stop crimes,but if the government creat small business to the people.

Guest Kemba Rahuman

There are two pillars that constitutes a Just society; Reward and Punishment, take a scenario where everyone is committing crimes for the sake of "I didn't know or I have done for survival" how will that society be? And you think they are no who have nothing to make them survive but they don't commit crimes. I think what we need to educate people about is "patience, being considerate, love for one another, and they have to know that ' they who dwell within the Tabernacle of God, and are established upon the seats of everlasting glory, will refuse, though they be dying of hunger, to stretch their hands and seize unlawfully the property of their neighbor, however vile and worthless he may be.

Guest Ross

Really difficult question as I can imagine situations that make people so desperate that for instance stealing food just to stay alive becomes almost irresistible. It might be the only way to feed your family if work or charity is not an option. However the victims of crime are often poor people themselves and can’t afford to be victims of crime either. Rich people can afford expensive ways to safeguard their property or possessions. Possibly the answer is that no country should allow people to become so desperate that the only option is to steal to stay alive. It is terrible that even in a rich country like the UK families need to use Food banks to get enough food to feed their children.

Ross (Rochdale)