Sign in to follow this  
admin

Can we create a world where no-one is living on the streets?

Guest Freda

I have to hope yes. I have to believe that we can achieve this though sonetimes people's selfishness gets in the way.

Guest Sam Australia

I am not sure we can. Many people who are homeless are also drug addicts and struggle to return to normal life. I wish the answer was yes but I fear it is no.

Guest Ross UK

Yes but only if there is both sufficient accommodation made available and that accommodation is safe to live in. Several people who are homeless in the UK are on the street because they fear the intimidation and bullying they have experienced living in homeless hostels. So the question is complex.

Guest Grace UK

Yes if we built more houses for them or share our empty houses. No one should live outside in the cold.

Guest Lauren, UK

Only if the public become better educated about homelessness. Many people, in the UK at least, have very negative perceptions of homeless people which are often untrue and these must be challenged before people will take action that the government may listen to.

Guest Lis (Trustee)

I think this question could be rephrased as  where no one chooses to live on the street.  Sadly there are people who make that choice  in the UK even after being given accommodation.  Or do they make that choice?  It is a very complex situation and it is not just about providing accommodation but providing support to help the person make the adjustment.  Living in accommodation can be very lonely after the community of the street.  It can be very difficult if you are trying to juggle bills and live on a limited budget and have a whole series of bills.  It can make you a target because others know where to find you if you are vulnerable.   

Guest Deborah UK

Some interesting points have been made here so far. If the solution to homelessness is enough housing and enough support - the question then is who should provide and fund this housing and support? Is this for governments or for charities to provide or a partnership of the two?

Guest Woodhaven School Pupils

Yes. We need to build more houses. Or give them the empty houses. Some families have very many houses. If they could share then no one would need to live on the streets.

I think yes because human beings have done many wonderful things like create aeroplanes and made electricity. I think this is what we should make all the really brainy people work on. This and climate change so we all survive to have a future. Thank you

No because there have always been people living outside since when people began. Some people used to live in caves which is similar to living under a bridge or other shelter on the streets. Maybe some people like sleeping outside more than inside.

No because the politicians are not interested in solving it. They are interested in making money instead.

I cannot decide. I am 50 50. Yes in a perfect world. But no in a real world. Some days I live in a perfect world and some days a real world. So I say maybe but I wish it to be yes.

Yes we can. I would be willing to share my bedroom with my sister so they could have her room. If more people shared then we could make sure everyone was warm and dry and safe at night.

Not really. I think people have tried and it didn't work. Maybe it can get better and less, but I don't think all homeless people will ever go away.

Yes if we show them we love them and they don't need to be ashamed of being homeless. Sometimes people feel ashamed and it makes them not want to get help. But bad things happen to everyone. If there was a war any of us might be homeless tomorrow.

Not unless we end war. War destroys houses and makes everyone run away. Then they live in big camps and tents. That is also homeless. So we need to stop people fighting to end homelessness full stop.

If we dont solve climate change then we might all live on the streets because of floods and fires. We need to solve climate change

Yes but not just by just giving them money. Money doesnt stop people feeling sad and some people buy drugs with the money.

Yes but it wont be easy. Some people ignore people living on the streets. To make a change they would need to stop and see them as people too.

Guest Harry

No we cant. Some people like the streets and we shouldnt make them leave if they dont want to

Guest Emma UK

I have to say yes. This is what drives organisations like SALVE to do their work. We have to believe a better world is possible and work to make that happen

Guest Greta Holland

Now that it is winter I really hope this can be the case. What I don't understand is why cold countries provide extra support only in the bad weather. Why do we not care about people all of the year?

Guest naigagashifa Jinja drop in

no we cannot create a world with no one living on the streets.political unrest this leads to high changes for many people to stay on the street.