Sign in to follow this  
admin

Will it ever be possible for everyone to have access to enough safe water?

Guest Tess UK

No, I actually think with climate change it's going to get a lot worse as we will have more extreme weather leading to droughts, floods and contaminated water sources.

Guest Guest Taylor USA

I think it's entirely possible, but the plausibility is low without significant financal resources. There is enough water to go around but the problems are distribution and purification, and the technologies for these problems usually require significant initial Investments, if not also high maintenance/recurring costs like those for desalinization and water trucking, for instance. That's why i think it makes the most sense if it is a government-provided Service, but of course that's also easier said than done given the Investments and infrastructure required to maintain such a system.

Guest Henry from Australia

No because people are too selfish to share properly

Guest LINCON (UGANDA)

Yes it is possible for everyone to have access to enough safe water because of the available springs in some parts of the Country where people can go and fetch water for both domestic and other purposes.

Guest LINCON (UGANDA)

Yes during rainy season, people can use drums and basins and other forms of how to fetch rain water therefore, this makes it possible for people to have access to enough safe water.

Guest LINCON (UGANDA)

Yes people can filter dirty water to become clean and can be used for domestic use thus having access to enough safe water.

Guest ROBERT (UGANDA)

Yes this is evident when people have other options of getting/fetching enough safe water i.e going to the rivers, lakes, swamps and springs, this will lead to many ways of having access to enough safe water in the Country.

Guest ROBERT (UGANDA)

No because in the villages, people use the same source of water with domestic animals like cattle, goats, etc and this makes them to be at a risk of getting diseases like cholera hence water becoming unsafe to them.

Guest ROBERT (UGANDA)

No tap water in towns is too expensive meaning it becomes a problem for people who are poor to have access to enough safe water hence they resort to fetching dirty water in swamps and wells though staying in towns.

Guest ROBERT (UGANDA)

No because during dry season, some parts of the Country like northern always experiences drought which also leads to drying out of wells, springs and also bore holes, rivers and lakes water level reduces as a result, it leads to people not to have access to enough safe water.

Guest Lauren

Although I think that there could be enough water for everyone I think that the current political climate may make access for all difficult. I also think that industries which use lots of water should take responsibility for helping those lacking access to increase their access. 

Guest Megan (UK)

I think it's only going to get worse due to the changing climate. However, I agree with Taylor above that the governments are the ones to provide this access but it is easier said than done. I think a massive challenge is the infrastructure of a country.

Guest Daniel UK

It should be easily achievable with the amount of natural clean water on the planet - but the reality is not that simple!

Guest Apio (Uganda)

I think it's possible if all government extends water sources to all hard to reach areas more especially the dry areas in the country.

Guest Guest Jane

I think it could and should be possible for everyone to have access to clean and safe water, but there needs to be different interventions and support in each area to achieve this. It is much more challenging in some areas than others. Governments need to be determined to make this a priority in order for this to happen. 

Guest Worried

Sadly I think we have a lot of global political leaders who only care about profit and I worry that water is just one more thing they will want to profit from instead of caring for other people. It seems like we are in the age of the selfish bully being in charge. Sorry not to be more hopeful. I hope you can convince me otherwise.

Guest Razia

With over 70% of Earth being covered with water, there is clearly plenty available for everyone to access. However the only reason as to why people dont have access to clean water is the lack of initiative taken by political leaders to ensure water is provided to their citizens. If the government members take a stand and enforce the importance of clean water then people will have clean water in no time; after all they are the ones with the power to make this happen. 

Guest Erin (USA)

Interesting. Yes but only if we aggressively fight climate change,  stop consuming so much stuff we don't need (mostly in the western world) and take care of the environment which water is a part of.

Guest Erin (USA)

We also have to eat a more plant-based diet and stop deforestation to fight climate change.

Guest Razia
1 hour ago, Guest Razia said:

With over 70% of Earth being covered with water, there is clearly plenty available for everyone to access. However the only reason as to why people dont have access to clean water is the lack of initiative taken by political leaders to ensure water is provided to their citizens. If the government members take a stand and enforce the importance of clean water then people will have clean water in no time; after all they are the ones with the power to make this happen. 

( Hi kids! Miss you guy)

It Seems that we are governed by greed and that the only thing that matters is money. Somewhere along the line we as humans have to realise that we can make a difference. If we can send a man to the moon, surely we have the capabilities to supply safe water and food to our inhabitants.

We often look at political leaders for change (which is frustrating as it isnt happening), so we must stand up in our local communities to make a difference, knowing that young people of today will be the leaders of tomorrow. I love this discussion topic!

Guest Alex UK

Yes, access to clean water should be enshrined in all government constitutions and considered a human right, as recognised by the UN.  All water companies should be owned by the government and private companies should not be able to profit from the distribution of clean drinking water. 

It Seems that we are governed by greed and that the only thing that matters is money. Somewhere along the line we as humans have to realise that we can make a difference. If we can send a man to the moon, surely we have the capabilities to supply safe water and food to our inhabitants.

We often look at political leaders for change (which is frustrating as it isnt happening), so we must stand up in our local communities to make a difference, knowing that young people of today will be the leaders of tomorrow. I love this discussion topic!

Guest Debs UK

I want to believe yes it is possible but only if we work together and some people reduce their water use so that others can have their share.